Monday, February 18, 2008

Interview with myself

Just to kick things off, and because I'm not a real writing talent, I thought it might be easiest to do this in the form of an interview with myself. Here goes...

Why did I start this blog ?
I want to learn more about photography and take better pictures !
On this blog, I am hoping to get some comments on my pictures and some advice on how to improve them. It's one thing to read a lot about photography (mainly on the internet and blogs of other photographers), but another thing to get feedback on the progress you're making with your from people who know a thing or two about photography.
Another reason is of course to share some of my knowledge which might come in handy for people who don't have advanced equipment such as remote triggers, expensive flashes or (color) filters. I have my own ways of replacing those by low cost, low tech solutions :-)

Why did you start it now ?
I've always liked taking pictures, but until recently (about 8 months ago) I didn't put enough time, effort or money into it... (read : I was always taking snapshots with a crappy digital camera up till 8 months ago).
Now I have a Pentax K10D, and in the past 8 months my shutter has released over 10000 times. By now, I know most of the technical details about photography principles (shutter-time, diaphragm, depth-of-field, bokeh...), I'm very familiar with shooting in manual mode with manual focus in low light (which I do most of the time), and I have some knowledge of composition guidelines (but I still have to learn to use them, because usually I just go with my gut feeling and half of the time my objects end up right in the middle of the picture, which is not always what I like afterwards). So I'm ready to take it a step further and try to learn some things that are difficult to learn without feedback.
Working with flash(es) is also something I still have to learn a lot about.

Why in English ?
To get more feedback ! There's a lot of good photographers all over the world,
and if I can get comments from all over the world, that would be great !
Comments in dutch are also appreciated of course.


Some facts about yourself ?
I live in Hasselt, Belgium.
I'm almost 30 years old.

What equipment do you use ?
- Pentax K10D
- Pentax-M 50mm 1.4
- Pentax DA* 16-50mm 2.8
- Canon 380EX speedlite (it works fine on the K10D,but I haven't used it much yet)
- A 2$ slave-unit (I experimented with this, and will probably do some modifications to it to try out some stuff... I'll write about this later)

Well, that's that.

No comments: