Friday, February 29, 2008

What are good pictures ?

I've been thinking a lot about what defines a "good" picture, and still haven't really found the criteria which I can use when I'm in the field taking pictures.
What I have learned, is that a picture does not need to be perfectly in focus to make it a good one. Even under- or overexposed pictures can be beautiful to me.
I have noticed that definitely not everyone thinks that way, but that doesn't stop me from experimenting a lot with it (especially over-exposure, which usually reduces the object of the picture to it's essence). So I thought I'd post some of those pictures here and see what you think of it...









In the last picture, the fish on the foreground seem to float out of the water which wouldn't be the case if it were correctly exposed...

And here some other pictures I like, but I don't really know why... Maybe you can tell me ? Or maybe nobody else even likes them :-)









2 comments:

Bruno Misseeuw said...

Hey - I would tend to agree with your thoughts on photography.

The 2nd shot is warm, the 3rd shot is real interesting too ... not sure why but it makes me think of Space Odyssey 200. The last shot but one (the bicycle) is perfect, excellent DoF (Depth of Focus) and composition. The one above is interesting too, actually they all are... bottom line I agree with your thoughts.

And for those that speak/read Dutch, no (zeger)zever in mijn opinie ;-)

Z said...

Thanks !
Now that you mentioned Space Odyssey, I know what you mean, but yet I also don't know why...
Maybe it's because of the final scenes of the movie, in those clean white rooms ? (if I remember well, because it's been about 10 years since I saw it)

By the way, your pictures on flickr look great ! Although I must admit I'd like them even better if you would leave out the semi-transparent framing... But that's just my taste of course, and they still look great !
Also like your titles (like "apple marathon" :-).